Adding a Payroll calculator

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Tue Nov 1 18:14:41 EST 2005

Jay Scherrer wrote:
> << snippetty doo dah >>
>
> Right on target. I my self don't know yet how GnuCash stores the
> information into each account. But it would be nice if there was a form
> to fill out while performing payroll that resembled a time clock or
> pay-stub format (Once hours were entered all the calculations are
> preformed).
> Of course the other options would include strait salaries and
> commissions. But these would be definable at the time of employee
> Creation/Hire.
>
> There are two major occurrences of payroll calculation.
> 1: performing the actual paycheck calculation.
> 2: Then reporting the totals for the quarterly tax return.

FOr my own purposes, I accumulate tax liabilities throughout the period
and with a couple of reports can determine both my outstanding tax
liabilities and labor expenses (used to calculate FICA, and MCare, among
others. WHat I can't get is units of work (hours in this case) and there
would have to be some method of recording that as some taxes are $x.xx
per hour as opposed to a percentage.

> Payroll taxes could be members of the Tax class and still be different
> from regular sales and income taxes. However Payroll taxes for the us
> will be accounted on a quarterly basis with the IRS form 941.
> I myself am very rusty on c but here's a shot. And I haven't the
> experience with any GUI's except Perl::Tk and html.
>
> I have used Derek Atkins's _gncEmployee class as a template for this
> Example:
>
> struct _gncTax
> {
>   char *          id;
>   char *          taxName;   /* Medicare, SSI, Sales,..etc */
>   char *          taxType;   /* Payroll, Payroll, Sales  */
>   char *          taxCatagory;/* Employee, Salary, Sale */
>   gnc_numeric     taxRate;   /* .0145, .062, .893 */
>   gnc_numeric     taxFrequency; /* hourly, monthly, unit */

is this -----------^ used to store what unit the tax is calculated on or
how often the tax is accumulated? IOW where do you store information as
what the tax is applied to?