Radically improve autogen.sh - cannot build trunk.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 08:39:54 EST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 1:13 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Neil Williams schrieb:
> >> so I assumed that after cleaning up this script good
> >>enough then it should work for all circumstances. Sorry if that is not
> >> the case.
> >
> > Not yet. I find it unsatisfactory that this change has forced me to
> > uninstall software on my OSX box to fit in with the "streamlined"
> > version.
>
> I still don't understand why there wasn't any way for you to make that
> work.

TBH, neither do I.

> The only fundamental difference between the old (and now reverted)
> autogen.sh and my temporary new proposal was that the old one looks for
> specific versions autoconf-2.53, autoheader-2.53, automake-1.5 and
> aclocal-1.5 (the latter two optionally as 1.6 or 1.7). Then the
> variables AUTOCONF et al were set to these programs. The new script, on
> the other hand, simply used the available autoconf et al programs,

That's probably where it does go wrong on OSX. The available autoconf tools
are the wrong ones and OSX keeps insisting on using them. The only way I
found of actually forcing OSX to *not* use automake1.4 (for example) was to
completely uninstall it.

My OSX box is complicated by having to have gnucash1.8 still installed.

> unless something else was passed as env variable. If you need to enforce
> the old behaviour on OSX, then instead of
>
>    ./autogen.sh
>
> you should have called
>
>    AUTOCONF=autoconf-2.53 AUTOHEADER=autoheader-2.53 \
>    AUTOMAKE=automake-1.5 ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.5 ./autogen.sh

I'll try that but, honestly, you haven't seen the number of those variables
that need to be set like that already for OSX - I'd much rather not have to
set two dozen environment variables just to compile G2.

> and then these explicit versions should have been enforced. No need to
> uninstall anything. The comment in the new autogen.sh was supposed to
> point you into that direction.

Which is what I tried and failed. I'll try again later.

> Agreed that both might require different build tools, but not agreed
> that you needed to uninstall any of those. That's why you can specify
> different versioned program names.

I wish it worked.
:-(

It might when I have another go at it - just not right now.

> > Doesn't work on OSX. Tried that. The BSD versions get in the way. Just
> > like the 'sed' patch I've committed to trunk today, OSX needs to always
> > use the GNU versions and things will break when the BSD versions get in
> > the way.
>
> And even hard-coding a path (like AUTOCONF=/usr/bin-gnu/autoconf-2.53 or
> whatever) didn't work?

Yes, that would work but it's not portable - I can't commit an edited
autogen.sh to svn and with the old one, I didn't need to.

> The old script did not even do that, only using
> the versioned program names.

Yet the programs it picked up did work.

I'll have another go but it all takes time.

--

Neil Williams