Budget questions. (wordy)

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Wed Nov 9 22:46:03 EST 2005

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net> writes:

>> Your description of "cash budgeting" sounds like you're summing all
>> cash debits and credits into one number for each period.  That seems
>> like generating a periodic projected cash-flow report, yes?
>
> Yes, except that budgeting and accounting are different tasks in my
> thinking.  I'm content to continue budgeting with gnumeric; it's a
> more static process.  (I make one budget in the year, I tweak it as
> necessary.  I enter hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of transactions
> in my accounting in the same year.)

My agreement here was over-hasty.

My cash budget is, in principle, a complete list of expected cash
sources (debits) and sinks (credits), organized month by month.  (I
don't bother budgeting expenses on more than an annual basis.)

The rest is an optimization, not a change.  I generate this list by
cribbing numbers from the expense budget, but it's not a different
kind of thing.  The apparent differences were a way of describing my
short-hand, not anything else.

Thomas