Budget questions. (wordy)

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Wed Nov 9 23:12:32 EST 2005

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> That's an interesting point.  That means your month-to-month variation
> doesn't come from changing expenses, since you just divide your total
> cash credits by 12.  It can only be due to changing income and loans.

Yes, but I cheat.  If I know there will be a big cash credit, then I
account it separately; my spreadsheet has a way to assign it to a
particular month in an unusual case.  My method works well enough,
because I can rely on a credit card to overcome any bumpiness without
any serious difficulty.

> My code assumes you have only one budgeting frequency for the entire
> budget, so it sounds like you'd want to easily enter the annual amount
> and have it automatically distributed over 12 months.

I'd want to make exceptions too.

For example, I regard any start-of-year credit card balance as
something I want to pay back in January, rather than throughout the
year.  So that's a cash credit that I peg to a specific month.  (My
actual money-moving behavior is a *third* thing, not simply tied to
either the budget or the accounts, incidentally; I can describe it if
you like, and maybe more support for that would be helpful.)

Thomas