Problem with configure.in, AM_PATH_GWRAP and g-wrap 1.9

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 14 17:25:03 EST 2005

Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:

>> I'll just point out that I still compile G2 against g-wrap 1.3.4
>> on my FC3 system and it works just fine.
>
> Presumably that is only because it uses gcc 3.3 not gcc4, so that you can
> build without --disable-error-on-warning ?

Indeed:

[warlord at cliodev src]$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.4/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
--disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
--disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-java-awt=gtk --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)

> I can do the same. My FC3 box does compile G2 - but it took a whole day to go
> from svn checkout to make dist so I don't use it as a regular test!
> :-(

Wow..  That's EXTREMELY underpowered!  A full autogen; configure; make clean;
make; make install process on my laptop takes MAYBE 20 minutes.. I think it's
closer to 10.

> (Now that the .gmo files have been generated, it would be faster (~4hrs) but
> each change to a .po file means a good hour spent converting to .gmo - it is
> a severely restricted system with far too little spare RAM (laptop). I only
> installed FC3 to get around the original gcc4+g-wrap1.3/1.9 bug. If it wasn't
> for that, the box would have been still running Debian and only compiling
> smaller projects.)

I'm sorry to hear that.  May I suggest you spend $300 to get a cheap 2.4GHz
Dell Desktop with 512MB RAM to use as a build machine?  It'll blow away
your current build times, so it may be worth the money..  Assuming you have
the space to put it.