What version of G2 am I running?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 14:47:13 EST 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 7:21 pm, Tim Wunder wrote:
> I run autogen.sh/configure/make/make install
> I do not run "make all" at any time. Should I?

I came across this problem. There's a stage missing in your script, Tim - make
sure you run make distclean before repeating a build in the same tree:

#!/bin/bash
cd <path>
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=<path2> --<other options>
make distclean
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=<path2> --<other options>
make
make install

The first autogen.sh and configure are there in case you've got an incomplete
last build or altered build scripts where make distclean would end
prematurely.

One other point. Why do you run 'sudo make install' to an /opt/ location?

root permission is only needed to make install into privileged system folders
like /usr/bin and /usr/lib etc.

I've added various checks into my own script that halts the script at
appropriate points rather than blindly trying to carry on:

(Note how I also remove the entire install directory each build.)
(libqof1 is installed as a normal Debian package)

#!/bin/bash
echo "Building SVN gnucash HEAD with libqof1 into /opt/garfield/gnucash2."
rm -rf /opt/garfield/gnucash2/
cd /opt/svn/gnucash/
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sql --enable-doxygen --enable-opt-style-install \
 --prefix=/opt/garfield/gnucash2
make distclean
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-sql --enable-doxygen --enable-opt-style-install \
 --prefix=/opt/garfield/gnucash2
result=$?
case "$result" in
        0)
        make
        ;;
        *)
        exit
        ;;
esac
result=$?
case "$result" in
        0)
	make check
	make install
	;;
	*)
	exit
	;;
esac
make dist

Once make check is fixed, I'll add another conditional so that make install
isn't run unless make check passes. Then I'll change make dist to make
distclean (as long as make install succeeds) which gets us close to a usable
distribution tarball.

--

Neil Williams