autogen questions

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Nov 18 05:17:00 EST 2005

Hi Neil,

I'll reconsider the autogen.sh simplification soon. In order to provide
you with the necessary directions for a simplified autogen on Mac OSX,
I'd need some version numbers from you.

What does the following give as version numbers in your normal build
environment?

  autoconf --version | head -1
  autoheader --version | head -1
  automake --version | head -1
  aclocal --version | head -1

And what are the actually used autotool versions during your gnucash
build, to be found out as follows:

  grep generated configure | head -1
  head -1 config.h.in   #(unfortunately probably without version number)
  grep generated Makefile.in | head -1
  grep generated aclocal.m4 | head -1

If any of these differ, say, the used automake is 1.5 but the command
"automake" is 1.7: Are there command names with the used version
available? E.g.

  automake-1.5 --version | head -1

Thanks for providing this information. I'll send a test autogen.sh with
my proposed instructions for Mac OSX to you privately before I commit to
SVN.

Christian