Some utf-8 menu items give Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid input string

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Nov 20 09:27:54 EST 2005

Am Samstag, 19. November 2005 16:54 schrieb Christian Krause:
> > SVN-HEAD version,
> >
> > To reproduce: "LANG=de_DE gnucash" ; you will immediatly see the "invalid
> > input string" on the console; then go into the "Reports" / "Berichte"
> > menu, then you see one empty line instead of the "Account Summary" /
> > "Kontenübersicht" menu item; the other empty item is in the submenu
> > "_Income & Expense" /  "_Erträge & Aufwendungen" and it was supposed to
> > be the "Income Piechart" / "Erträge Tortendiagramm".
>
> Yes, the same here. :-(
>
> But I wonder why do you use LANG=de_DE and not LANG=de_DE.UTF-8.

Right: In my working system I use LANG=de_DE.utf8 . The described error shows
up in both LANG settings, though.

> I'm not sure, which one is more correct (although you'll get nice EUR
> symbols instead of the string "EUR" if you use LANG=de_DE.UTF-8), but
> I've read on several places on the net that de_DE.UTF-8 should be the
> correct one.

I'm not sure as well. I guess it doesn't matter with gtk2-Applications since
they will do the correct conversion from/to utf8 on the fly, but probably
other applications will run into trouble.  As for gnucash-gtk2, it doesn't
really matter.

Christian