Capital Gains from mutual funds

Matti Picus matti at picus.org
Wed Nov 23 16:00:23 EST 2005

Derek Atkins wrote:

> You could just pull in all the Splits in the mutual fund account,
> sort them in date order, and then match purchases to sales.
>
> -derek
>
> Matti Picus <matti at picus.org> writes:
>

>> Tax law in Israel is ever changing, and I would like to develop a report
>> that will allow "what if" calculations of mutual funds. Here are the
>> problems:
>> 1. The fund transactions are made in dollars, but the calculations must
>> be done in shekels (I need to look up the exchange rate and multiply)
>> 2. Each purchase must be aligned with a sale, in a first-in-first-out
>> fashion. That is, I buy five shares in 2002, fifteen more in 2003, and
>> sell 10 in 2004 and ten in 2005. The capital gains in 2004 is against
>> the shares purchased in 2002 and 1/3 of the 2003 shares, the 2005 shares
>> are calculated against the 2005 ones.
>> 3. I also need to adjust the values for inflation, using a well known
>> consumer price index.
>> 4. Of course I need to be able to fix the rate of taxation.
>>
>> How can I start to implement this? Any hints?

Thanks for the hint. How would that give me a handle on creating a
report that converts each transaction in the mutual fund account from
dollars to Israeli shekels at the conversion rate valid on the date of
the transaction? While I programmed in LISP many years ago, the shceme
code is a little obscure to my untrained eye...
Matti