MediaWiki instead of Trac Wiki?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Nov 29 09:55:38 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:22 +0100, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Actually I'm still unsure whether we really should start maintaining a
> non-trivial wiki on svn.gnucash.org (I hope this question doesn't sound
> blasphemic by now).
>
> Currently we have online documentation about gnucash at the following
> places, which are all maintained differently:

Yeah, it's annoying.

- We should be able to update www.gnucash.org more readily; the current
situation is fairly silly.  If not machine/update access, it'd be nice
if the sources were in svn so they could be updated, patched, &c.  It'd
also be nice if, maybe, the site was regularly (auto-)updated from svn.

- I feel like we're leeching off gnomesupport.org; we could stand to
have a gnucash-specific wiki on wiki.gnucash.org.

  - We should require moderated accounts for editing; while it's not the
wiki way, spammers have more evil than we have free time. :/

- I could imagine some wiki-like system for maintaining or commenting on
the gnucash docs, but that's a ways down the road.

It sounds like the Trac-provided wiki isn't really working out, and
MediaWiki is (relateively) easy to setup, full-featured and well-known.
I say we try it out, and dereference gnomesupport.org.

We should also move much of the www.gnucash.org content into the wiki,
eventually combined with reducing the footprint of www.gnucash.org to
really-static information and/or merging the two entirely.

...jsled