MediaWiki instead of Trac Wiki?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 30 14:38:46 EST 2005

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:15:21PM -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:59 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
>> >    b) Spectrum goes:
>> >       1) no user edits; only moderators edit/add new mods
>> >       2) same as 1) w/ webform for requesting write-access.
>> (manual approval)
>> >       3) same as 2) but with CAPTCHA, email callback and automatic
>> approval
>> >       4) same as 3) but without CAPTCHA
>> >       5) same as 4) but with no email verification
>> >       6) anonymous edits
>>
>> We've been talking (in IRC) about somewhere between (2) and (3) ...
>> specifically: anyone can create an account via the wiki, but it comes
>> w/o edit privs; sysops will then add the edit perm to accounts
>> individually.
>
> Now a question unrelated to my main point...
>
> Assuming no account is needed to *read* content, what possible
> incentive is there to create an account that has no edit privilege?
> It lets me read under my own username?  Is it a dirty trick?

The incentive is that you need an account in order to edit content.
It's just a question of the delay between creating the account and
being able to edit content.

> Unless I misunderstand, this just won't work.

Why do you say that?  It just wont work unless the delay is zero?
Why do you believe that to be true?  Isn't that as much an assumption
as the level of wiki-spam that you're arguing so vociferously about?