MediaWiki instead of Trac Wiki?

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Nov 30 15:35:15 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 02:46:17PM -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> > Assuming no account is needed to *read* content, what possible
> > incentive is there to create an account that has no edit privilege?
> > It lets me read under my own username?  Is it a dirty trick?
> >
> > Unless I misunderstand, this just won't work.
>
> This would effectively be using mediawiki's account creation as the
> "webform for requesting write-access": one creates an account, sysops
> are signaled, the account gets the 'edit' perm added, then one can edit
> pages.

I see now.

> WRT the abuse-level threshold tuning... we need to choose a specific
> mechanism, and I'm not going to spend time measuring the allowed and
> prevented abuse fractional rates or whatever.  Let's do one of these
> two:
>
> - account creation with moderated editing approval, see how it goes and
> maybe relax it later to account-creation with unmoderated editing
> approval.
>
> - start more permissive, allowing anons to create accounts with edit
> perms by default, and regress iff spammers take hold.

:) Yes.  That's almost exactly what was trying to suggest. :) The
important parts being "see how it goes" and "iff spammers".  I didn't
mean to imply that measurements and threshold *had* to be precise.
"Hey that's too much spam!" is a valid measurement and comparison to
the threshold.  (I would just change "maybe relax" to "certainly relax
if there's not too much spam".)

I've seen more than one wikidom rot because it reacted against
wiki-spam by restricting it away, along with all useful collaboration.
:(  We can do better.

-chris