Proposals about gnucash-gnome2

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu Oct 6 09:40:12 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 17:21 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Been lurking lately and wonder what is involved in testing and how can I
> help? I'm a daily user running three businesses with gnucash and have
> some very ancient programming experience. If I can help out by testing
> and (hopefully) giving useful feedback, I'd be happy to do it.

Putting my business transactions through gnucash is pretty much the
majority of what I've done with testing in the past. I've gone about
doing my normal stuff in the new version, and seen what breaks (of
course, I had a backup copy of the datafile). Part of this process
included doing things in different ways to achieve the same results and
deliberately trying to do things that should not be valid, but
ultimately all I've been doing is trying to think of different ways
people might approach trying to do what I normally do.

The very first thing that I have done in the past has been to set up a
completely new set of accounts, and deliberately set out to try and
break bits of the code that I know have changed between versions. That
was much easier when I was actually keeping a close eye on development.
I generally used to check things which I knew had had fixes applied to
them, and things which I figured might be broken by those fixes - again
this was much easier when I actually had some idea what was going on in
the code, which I do not any more. I'll admit that I wasn't particularly
methodical or thorough, as I have subsequently had to be when doing
testing for real money.

In short, I'd encourage you to start using the pre-release versions as
soon as they become available (keeping backup copies, of course!), and
reporting anything you find that is "not right" (and may not include
bugs, as such, but may be just minor UI tweaks to make the interface
work better).

Conrad.