Release schedule [WAS: Proposals about gnucash-gnome2]

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Thu Oct 6 10:16:36 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:12:28AM +0200, Didier Vidal wrote:
> [...]
> > An interesting side-effect of a 1.8.12 release is that we as a developer team
> > communicate the fact that we're alive and active and caring about the users,
> > all the while such a release is technically quite easy for us. And of course
> > the respective announcement can be used to communicate the active gnome2
> > progress.
> This would be more effective if we could communicate on a target date
> for a gnome2 beta version of gnucash. Preferably less than 3 month after
> 1.8.12

I think in the past, we've been focused on what code changes are
required for a G2 release.  But, at least for alpha releases, can't we
just release regularly and see how many releases it takes to go beta
and then final?

It's not like we're breaking stuff on purpose.  I think that right
now, any cvs snapshot that builds is suitable for release as alpha.
How hard is the release process?  Can it be automated into a, say
biweekly, release?

We could say, o.k. let's ensure that the tree builds on the 1st and
3rd Monday of the month, because someone's cronjob is sucking up the
cvs into a tgz.  What else is involved in an alpha release?

-chris