config.rpath, autogen.sh, gettextize, [WAS: test-dom-converters1 failure]

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Thu Oct 6 16:12:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 02:13:23PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:
>
> >Does anyone know of a way to run 'make distcheck' without actually
> >running the tests?
>
> "make dist" instead of "distcheck"

Thanks.  But, I get:

$ make dist
make: *** No rule to make target `config.rpath', needed by `distdir'.  Stop.

I gather config.rpath is generated by gettextize.  It seems that the
use of gettext has been partially removed from autogen.sh.  All those
messages about where to fetch gettext are incorrect.

Looking at autogen.sh raised a bunch more questions than it answered?

1) Why do we find every 'configure.in' in the tree to loop over?  This
interacts very badly with tools like quilt which copy an unmodified
version of modified files into a hidden directory inside the tree.
I've taken to popping my entire patch stack before running autogen.sh,
but I didn't realize until today that this was our own fault and not
standard behavior of autoconf.  Shouldn't we expect to find only one
configure.in?  [ I'd never seen that NO-AUTO-GEN trick documented
anywhere. But I can't use it, because quilt manages it's metadata
directories itself.  ]

2) Why do we grep for a bunch of macros that we know we won't find?
Afterall, we have as much control over configure.in as we do over
autogen.sh, right?

3) Conditionally rewriting configure.in from autogen.sh based on what
we find in configure.in seems strange.  Can't we just put conditionals
in configure.in?

4) Is {glib-}gettextize required or not?  We never complain about not
finding gettextize.  But, we seem to assume that we can use
glib-gettextize without checking for it.

  4a) Does it matter that it seems that glib-gettextize doesn't do
anything related to config.rpath, while gettextize does?  Is this
related to make dist failure?

5) Should we be using autopoint instead of gettextize?

6) Why the redefinition of macrodirs?

7) Why echo "no" in echo "no" | glib-gettextize --force --copy?

8) Is it fair to summarize purpose of autogen.sh as "run gettextize,
intltoolize, libtoolize, aclocal, autoheader, automake and autoconf,
in that order, after checking for presence of correct versions of all
those programs. Then wrap configure."?

Ok, enough for now.  I guess I should've said I'm unfamilar with
release process AND the build system.  Are we sure there's no
auto-sucker to step up to the plate here?  :)

> >Alternatively, does anyone know the last time the tests ran
> >successfully?
>
> No, but we really need to get them working...

*sigh*  Agreed.

-chris