Proposals about gnucash-gnome2

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 10:43:35 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 9:05 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Second, the pressure for a gnome2-gnucash is
> increasing all around.

I've just come back from LinuxWorld Expo where the common question was: when
is the gnucash port going to be ready. I am not unaware of the pressure.

> "The gnome2 port of gnucash is under way. At first, we will try to keep all
> major features of the 1.8.x release but under the new GUI toolkit. This
> might be achieved in the next 2..4..6 months.

All the QOF work will be finished long before that. All future QOF work would
then be within the QOF source tree at sourceforge, there'd be no need to work
within the gnucash tree.

> Related to this is the question about the qof-work, which is not
> immediately vital for the gnucash-gnome2 port.

I thought we agreed before I left that there is so little left to be done that
there is no point in distributing duplicate code if a QOF library is
available for X platform.

> In my opinion the work in
> that area is going on well, but unfortunately the goals of the qof-work and
> those of other developers silently diverged at some point.

I disagree - the work is simply to prevent unnecessary duplication of code in
the packages.

> I think we
> should clearly confirm that the architectural changes related to qof,
> including the division between an external libqof and gnucash, are *not*
> immediatly the focus of the gnucash-gnome2 port.

Can't I just finish the job?

> This work should therefore
> (please, please) *not* interfere with work that improves the gnome2 port
> and only the gnome2 port. The technical solution to that issue is quite
> simple:

I don't need (or want) a branch in gnucash, I don't want QOF code IN gnucash
at all. Wherever possible, the QOF library can and should be used. Please
don't make a qof- anything branch. It's completely unnecessary.

It may be wise to move QOF files to lib/qof but that's all that is required.

--

Neil Williams