more Fun With Encoding

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Sat Oct 8 21:46:01 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 07:25:42PM -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 06:39:10PM -0400, David Hampton wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 17:58 -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > > Well, it helps, but it doesn't explain the error.
> > > Let me read the gettext manual and get back to you.
> >
> > Would help if I had read the error message myself.  First question would
> > be what exactly is xgettext complaining about.
> >
> > > $ head -2 ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c
> > > /* src/business/business-reports/easy-invoice.scm */
> > > _("Invoice Number")
> >
> > I don't see any non-ASCII characters there.
>
> exactly what I thought.
>

> > xgettext appears to now support finding strings in Lisp files.  Would be
> > worth checking to see if this works with the scheme variant of lisp.  I
> > would expect it does.  If so we could dump the intl-scm directory
> > altogether and use xgettext directly.
>
> I noticed that, too.  And that's what I was planning on looking into.

Indeed, xgettext does seem to correctly parse our scheme files.

>From looking at xgettext's NEWS file, I gather that this has been
supported since Version 0.14.2 - February 2005.  IIUC, the only people
who need to run xgettext are the packagers, i.e. the developers.  So,
is this version sufficiently old enough that people are in favor of
dropping our "use perl to collect Scheme strings into C file so
xgettext can find them"-trick?

If so, I'll look further to see if this also avoids the errors that
currently prevent me from doing 'make dist'.

-chris

> But, I'm probably going to put this on hold long enough to send out
> some budgeting patches...

BTW, I'm ready to send these out.  But I don't want to send more than
can be handled in the short term.  How many is that?

-chris