gnome2 graphing update [WAS: Re: Proposals about gnucash-gnome2]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Oct 12 20:50:31 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 13:46 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> One area in particular that is new and unknown is the graphing support.
> I've just gotten it working again, and it would be useful to get the
> widest basic test of this code as soon as possible.
>
> The most basic test is under the Reports menu, under Sample Reports: the
> 'Test Graphs.' report; all 3 graphs should display as
> http://asynchronous.org/tmp/graphs.png .

Just wanted to update this a bit...  I spent some time mostly-finishing
the gnucash side of the graphing support over the last few days, and did
some side-by-side comparisons.  The code is in CVS, and examples of the
output are (in large graphics) at
http://asynchronous.org/tmp/gnucash-1.8-vs-2.0-graphing/ .

Visually, this is about as much as we're going to get out of GOG.  The
"worst" part is the lack of text-label rotation for the y-axis label and
x-axis elements.  I know there's a way to specify the colors to GOG but
my attempts aren't working and I don't know if I care enough for G2.

It's also interesting to note that guppi was apparently buggy w.r.t.
negative-value stacked-barchart segments.  GOG isn't.

In any case, feedback appreciated, especially if things aren't working
for you.

...jsled