gnome2 graphing update [WAS: Re: Proposals about gnucash-gnome2]

Emmanuel Pacaud emmanuel.pacaud at univ-poitiers.fr
Thu Oct 13 08:37:12 EDT 2005

Hi,

Please ignore previous post, sent by an unintentional CTR+Enter.

Le mercredi 12 octobre 2005 à 20:50 -0400, Josh Sled a écrit :
> On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 13:46 -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> > One area in particular that is new and unknown is the graphing support.
> > I've just gotten it working again, and it would be useful to get the
> > widest basic test of this code as soon as possible.
> >
> > The most basic test is under the Reports menu, under Sample Reports: the
> > 'Test Graphs.' report; all 3 graphs should display as
> > http://asynchronous.org/tmp/graphs.png .
>
> Just wanted to update this a bit...  I spent some time mostly-finishing
> the gnucash side of the graphing support over the last few days, and did
> some side-by-side comparisons.  The code is in CVS, and examples of the
> output are (in large graphics) at
> http://asynchronous.org/tmp/gnucash-1.8-vs-2.0-graphing/ .
>
> Visually, this is about as much as we're going to get out of GOG.  The
> "worst" part is the lack of text-label rotation for the y-axis label and
> x-axis elements.

Rotated texts are supported in latest goffice release. If you have
gnumeric 1.6, try this file to see a sample of goffice features:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnumeric/samples/chart-tests.gnumeric

> I know there's a way to specify the colors to GOG but
> my attempts aren't working and I don't know if I care enough for G2.

Please have a look at this file:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnumeric/src/dialogs/dialog-about.c

That's the code for gnumeric about dialog. Another solution would be to
tweak default style in goffice/graph/gog-theme.c.

Current goffice API is somewhat scary, and must be improved. Don't
hesitate to open a bug in goffice bugzilla for a discussion regarding
API issues.

	Emmanuel.