[Gnucash-changes] Mac OSX fix - remove non-portable settings

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 13 15:09:10 EDT 2005

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net> writes:

> Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:
>
>> The version of libtool on OSX has no --version command, it has no --help
>> or -? or --usage or any other simple command that does not start the
>> linker. Whatever you pass it, either you pass a valid link command or
>> you get the error message - which naturally goes to STDERR which autogen
>> picks up as a "no such file or directory" error and thinks that libtool
>> is not installed.
>>
>> PITA!
>>
>> How do we get around that?
>
> Um, decide that a fundamentally broken libtool constitutes a libtool
> which is not installed, and then put one in the tarball for use when
> there is none installed? :)

I agree with the former, but not the latter.  The way we get around
that is require that you have the fink "libtool" package installed
on your Mac.  Autogen still needs to /call/ libtool, so it's quite
reasonable to check for it.  A libtool that is so broken that it
doesn't support --version or --help is clearly one we don't want
to use.  Ignoring that is just... wrong.

If you can't find a fink package then you should just install libtool
from source.