compiling on debian

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 13 15:41:01 EDT 2005

Quoting Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at farwestbilliards.com>:

> howdy,
>
> so i finally got around to checking out a new copy of gnucash to
> compile (wanted to play with Josh's graphing stuff). first, I had
> trouble checking out "gnucash-gnome2-dev" (I assume that is the
> version to try?) so I went for "gnucash".

What cvs command did you use?  You probably forgot the "-r" to grab
the g2 branch, thinking g2 was a module instead.  I bet you pulled
down HEAD branch, which wont work on Debian/unstable.

[snip]
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> gw-engine.c: In function 'gw__tmp426_xaccQueryAddDateMatch_wrapper':
> gw-engine.c:16686: warning: 'gw__scm_extras[0]' is used uninitialized
> in this function

This sounds like a gcc4 issue, which HEAD wont fix.  You need g2 branch.

> I am probably doing something stupid, so please enlighten me, if you
> will. And I apologise if I am distracting from the real work ;)

You probably used the wrong cvs command.  Check if you have a GNOME2_STATUS
file in the top-level of your checkout.  If not, then you've got
the wrong branch.  Go read the "CVS Hacking" page on www.gnucash.org
for explicit instructions (you'll need to go to the end of the page
under "how to get olders versions").