Pango and Debian

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 16:00:01 EDT 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 2:57 pm, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 09:06 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > It's more than just warnings to the console. Now that I've been building
> > updated trees and testing within G2 regularly, I can report that these
> > pango errors are preventing G2 from displaying any *numbers* or *currency
> > symbols* in the acccount summary or any reports in G2 on Debian. I've not
> > noted problems on FC3 and I'm not quite able to run G2 on OSX yet.
>
> I notice that changing my LANG from 'en_GB' to 'en_GB.utf8' makes this
> go away.  Is that true for you too?

Now that used to cause no end of problems with funny prefixes and things but
now that I've finished with the patches for the day, I tested with:
export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
in the terminal and started from there. Putting that in ~/.bashrc will have
the same effect each time. Not sure if the case matters for the suffix.

It's now fine. Problem solved. Account summary and reports are fine - no pango
warnings, no missing currency symbols or numbers and no funny prefixes.

The default isn't to use UTF-8, is this something we need to document
somewhere? (apart from the list archive).

The section in GNOME2_STATUS can be removed whenever anyone is next editing
it.

--

Neil Williams