xml schema description of XML GnuCash file?

Larry Evans cppljevans at cox-internet.com
Thu Oct 13 17:29:42 EDT 2005

On 10/13/2005 01:25 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
[snip]
> Full details of QSF are here (including a Schema):
>
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/qsf.html

Very interesting.  The page:

   http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/map.html

contains:

   qsf-map is an XML format used to map a series of QOF objects from one
   application to a series of different QOF objects in another
   application.

One reason I was interested in XML was that both GnuCash
and Gnumeric store their data in XML files.  Now, if both
GnuCash and Gnumeric change their storage format from XML
to QSF, then great.  I was thinking of using Gnumeric
to perform sums and averages and calculate average return
on investment.  I was having trouble figuring out how
to do that with GnuCash and was hoping maybe I could
just use XSLTPROC to extract what I needed from the
GnuCash XML, reformat it to satisfy Gnumeric's schema
(whatever that may be) and then do the calc's there.
I was also thinking of using a similar process to
calcuate taxes.  However, that's probably more
trouble than it's worth.

Anyone have any better ideas on how to communicate
between Gnumeric and GnuCash?