Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Fri Oct 14 22:05:51 EDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:22:30AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:

<snip>

> It's ironic that we are spending so much time discussing this now when there
> is so much pressure for G2.

Actually, I think it's rather predictable.  It's usually when you really
want a process to work well that you realize how poorly it works.

<snip>
> > I guess that's the key of what I'm saying: I don't believe that making
> > codebase simplification the #1 priority will achieve codebase
> > simplification.  However, making "something else" the #1 priority
> > *will* achieve codebase simplification incidentally.
>
> Does that "something else" have to be the same for everyone? As long as the
> aims and standards of the code simplification are established, does it
> matter?

*If* I'm right, then yes, it matters a lot.  Very few goals will lead
to a healthier project.  We have no shortage of good intentions and
diligence and we've been talking about codebase simplification for a
long time.  I think the current path will take us in exactly the
direction we've been heading, at pretty much the same pace we've been
moving, which will mean a slow, slow death.

-chris