Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 15 10:37:01 EDT 2005

Quoting Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de>:

> Hi,
>> You don't need to know scheme.  Indeed there is ZERO scheme in the
>> current hbci importer in g2!  So I have no idea where you're thinking
>> you need to know scheme to do what you want to do!
> [...]
>
> Well, e.g. in src/import-export/hbci there is the file "hbci.scm".
> As it seems this file is needed to provide HBCI support for Gnucash, right?
> The same applies to src/import-export/mt940 (mp940-import.scm).

You're looking at the wrong branch, or your branch is WAY out of date:

[warlord at cliodev ~]$ ls src/import-export/hbci/*.scm
ls: No match.

> So in order to properly setup a plugin for Gnucash I need to provide such
> an .scm file, right? So I still need to know scheme in order to write a
> plugin. Or do I miss something?

Wrong.  You do not need scheme to load a module.  You only need scheme
if you want to export your module's API to additional scheme programs
(e.g. if you want reports to use your API).

> If that's the case then I'm even unable to *start* to provide a
> plugin without
> knowing scheme. Sure, the plugin itself doesn't need to be written in scheme,
> but I wouldn't be able to let Gnucash use my plugin without that scheme
> setup.

Let's assume you were right and needed scheme to write a module..  This
assumption is false, but let's assume it anyways.  You /could/ just take
the scheme from another module, copy-and-paste, and then modify it to
load your module instead.  It doesn't take a lot of scheme understanding
to copy-and-paste and then modify a file.

However, this assumption is false.  You don't need scheme.

> At least that's what it looks like to me (but then I don't know enough about
> the internals of Gnucash) ...

That's why I'm trying to educate you.  You don't need scheme for this.