Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Ganesan Rajagopal rganesan at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 15 12:20:28 EDT 2005

> If you don't want any extensions, I suppose.

> Some people find the whole advantage of gnucash is that it has an
> extension language.

I agree. However scheme isn't really a good extension language for most
people. Guile just doesn't appear to be very popular. I personally think
Emacs Lisp succeeded amazingly when extensible editors were rather
unknown. These days most people prefer a conventional imperative programming
language; just compare active extension developers for (say) Eclipse to
Emacs. I think this is a pity because Emacs pretty much used to my OS, but
unfortunately that's the reality.

These days if I had to choose an extension language, I'd probably choose
python or Lua. However, changing the extension language midship is not a
good idea for Gnucash. Post G2, perhaps Gnucash core should gradually become
100% C with a well defined API for writing extensions in a language of your
choice (take a look at Gnumeric for example).

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal (rganesan at debian.org) | GPG Key: 1024D/5D8C12EA
Web: http://employees.org/~rganesan        | http://rganesan.blogspot.com