Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 05:45:47 EDT 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 12:26 am, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 00:13 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > 1. Hard to follow code layout - src/engine in particular has caused lots
> > of confusion on this list when trying to relate to QOF. CVS is the main
> > problem here, preventing file system re-organisation. (I like CVS but I
> > recognise it's problems too).
>
> src/engine/ is one of the most straightforward pieces of the source
> tree.  What is confusing about it?

Did you miss the bulk of the devel archive for the last few months??? This has
been discussed in relation to cashutil. e.g.

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2005-September/013635.html

src/engine confuses things because that directory holds at least TWO
distinct kinds of files: QOF files and object files. Both sets of files are
GUI-independent but serve quite different functions. Object files also exist
elsewhere - namely in business-core. These are also GUI-independent.

So I talk of libcashobjects.la and libgnc-backend-file.la. There will also be
a libqof.la.

If you get a chance to download CashUtil the distinctions might be clearer.

cashutil/src/objects contains objects from /src/engine and business-core
cashutil/src/backend contains files from backend/file and business-core/file.

I'll soon be committing a change to src/engine that splits the QOF files into
a separate library to allow external QOF to be used. This should make it
clearer which file belongs where.

--

Neil Williams