Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Oct 16 10:23:22 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 11:34 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> This is ALL because the current version control system relies on the final
> arbiter being a single directory on a single machine: cvs.gnucash.org.

No, it's not.  It's because you're trying to extricate a lot of really
central code from a large, actively-developing codebase that everyone
else wants to remain static/stable, and has a different goal for, by
copying-and-pasting large amounts of code.

> I need to be able to make smaller commits that change fewer files in one go,
> that require less time building pointless trees and which are available for
> *inspection* by others WITHOUT necessarily having to be IN their build.

Yes, indeed.

> That is a decentralised model - there is no single arbiter, no single source.
> It's almost like a branch per developer.

So maybe we need to branch the code for this effort, as has been
proposed?

I just don't see a requirement for a decentralized source-control
system, here, though.

...jsled