Request for help: Distro releases and library version table

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Mon Oct 17 17:49:33 EDT 2005

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net> writes:
>
>> Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:
>>
>>> Yeah, it's a pretty constrained problem.  Please try to work with me
>>> here, though.  We need to target the latest-yet-oldest versions we can
>>> get away with... I'm trying to find a way to make that work across
>>> multiple distros.  I'm just trying to figure out what those versions are
>>> so we can know what we're targeting.
>>
>> Let me explain.  Targeting Debian stable is not the
>> latest-yet-oldest.  It's just the oldest.
>
> Please stop being Debian-centric.  Debian is not the only
> Distro in the world.  Indeed, Debian is quite unique in it's
> view of the world.  Most of the other distros work quite
> differently than Debian does.  Gnucash is not targeted at
> Debian; indeed, it's not even targetted at Linux!

I'm not being Debian-centric....

The state goal was to work on as many distributions as possible, and
get a sense of what libraries are the right ones to target for each
distribution.  That's fine.

I'm explaining which are the correct Debian libraries to target.  I'm
not demanding that Debian must be targeted, just explaining that
targeting Debian stable is not the right way to target Debian.

Thomas