MACRS GDS/ADS

tracy at emedicine.arizona.edu tracy at emedicine.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 22 15:54:17 EDT 2005

Hello.

I'm new to the community and eager to contribute.

I was reviewing the depreciation methods outlined in the documentation online
and I didn't find a reference to the US federal Modified Accelerated Cost
Recovery System (MACRS). MACRS is used to recover the basis of most business
and investment property placed in service after 1986. MACRS consists of two
depreciation systems, the General Depreciation System (GDS) and the
Alternative Depreciation System (ADS).

MACRS/GDS is a front loaded depreciation system that crosses over to a linear
model after n years of service depending on what kind of property is being
depreciated.

3-year = 3rd year is linear
5-year = 4th & 5th year are linear
7-year = 5th, 6th, & 7th year are linear

MACRS/ADS is simply a linear model.

Are there any current plans or work being made to include this depreciation
method into the new/next version of gnucash? If it's not already being done
and there is interest, I wouldn't mind writing to code for this.

Let me know what you think.

Tracy Steven Brown.