Switching from CVS to Subversion: test svn repo available

Brian dol-sen at telus.net
Mon Oct 24 12:39:00 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-24-10 at 10:53 -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:

> The actual state of things is that there are *very* few developers,
> and I think the survival of gnucash depends on attracting more.  That
> doesn't necessarily require a distributed model, but I think one key
> step is providing the convenience of SCM to "fringe" developers.  That
> could still happen in a centralized model, for example, if an
> automated webform granted permission to create new branches and commit
> to them so that all devs can see the newly developed code and provide
> guidance long before it would be time for a patchbomb.  And if it was
> very easy to keep dev branches in sync with main branch.
>
> My point is not so much "distributed is better than centralized", as
> it is "lower the barriers to new developers by letting them share code
> early and often."  Distributed SCM is *one* way to do that.

I agree with with Chris on this one.  I am not much of a developer, but
would like to contribute when I can.  Several months back I tried making
changes to make the hard coded business info in the fancy-invoice
dynamic.  I was able to extend the File=>Properties dialog and get the
additional data saved and reloaded, but could not get the fancy-invoice
to retreive that data.  (Yes I exported it, I'm with Neil about
Scheme :( )
It would probably have only taken someone else 5-10 minutes to fix it.
Unfortunately I got too busy to keep plugging away at it and it has now
missed the final 1.8 release.

I am probably not the only one that could contribute code that way.

Another compelling reason:  Just look at several of the recent threads
complaining about changes breaking things and others not knowing what
others are in the process of changing.  SVN will help, but may not be as
good.

--
Brian <dol-sen at telus.net>