Switching from CVS to Subversion: test svn repo available

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 24 16:55:09 EDT 2005

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> Well, I think *all* development should be on branches.

I disagree.  There is PLENTY of development that doesn't need to be done
on a branch.  When I wrote the business features, there's no reason
that all the code in src/business had to be on a branch.  For budgetting,
there's no reason that all the new budgetting code needs to be written
on a branch.  You just make sure that the code compiles but don't hook
it into the UI -- or on HEAD you DO hook it into the UI, because, well,
it's a development branch!

>> The GnuCash tree is very sparse, and most branches are terminal
>> release branches.
>
> This is true, but that's because a) there wasn't much use of branches
> because they were such a pain, b) some development was done
> out-of-tree with no SCM and then commited.  Everytime b) happens,
> that's essentially a branch you don't see.

Nah, in gnucash there just isn't the major NEED of branches.  Branches
aren't that much of a pain (provided you have commit access).  In fact
there HAVE been a number of branches done for development.  Linas used
a branch for a lot of his original QOF work, and we were planning to use
a branch for the g2 port (although that's taken much much longer than
originally anticipated).

I also don't consider (b) to be a major issue.

>> Even if the tree wasn't sparse, I don't foresee the need to
>> cross patch branches like there is in kernel development.
>
> Well, if all dev work was done on branches, there'd be a lot of branch
> sync'ing to the released branches.

Not necessarily..  There'd be a long of branch syncing to HEAD, certainly.
But I don't agree that all work should be done on a branch (well,
a non-trunk branch at least -- obviously you have to work on SOME
branch, and IMHO trunk is the appropriate branch for most new work).