G2 Testing - gconf Druid

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Wed Oct 26 02:42:13 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 00:57 -0400, Volker Englisch wrote:
> I tested the gconf druid tonight and here are my
> comments/suggestions/findings:
>
> When I start gnucash a message window comes up (Cannot find default
> values).  The Help button is highlighted by default but there is no help
> when pressed (maybe I need to install documentation files separately?).

The "Setup" button is now the default.

The documentation files were separated out from the executable during
the 1.8 releases.  They will need to be installed in the same location
as the g2 tree for them to be found.  However, this dialog still needs
to have documented written for it.

> On the window titled "Choose Method" the focus sometimes disappears when
> cycling through the options with the TAB key.
>     "Update Search Path" --> blank --> blank --> Cancel --> Back -->
>        Forward --> blank --> "Update Search Path" --> ...

Fixed.

> Everything works when the "Update Search Path" option is selected.
> However, when selecting the option "I'll do it myself" on the following
> window the last window gives the instructions to edit the .gconf.path
> file and restart the gconf backend.  There is no mention on how to
> restart the gconf backend.  I suggest to list the command
>    gconftool-2 --shutdown
> here.  Or maybe better let the user know on the previous window ("Update
> Path") that the gconf backend will need to be restarted if the
> .gconf.path file got modified.  With that information users might rather
> want gnucash to do this for them.

I've done both of these.

> When the option "Install into home directory" is selected the option
> "Do it for me" on the next window fails.  So does the "I'll do it
> myself" since the shell script
>    update-gnucash-gconf
> is not in the default search path.
>
> Note:  I have gnucash installed under /opt/gnucash2

The update-gnucash-gconf script is installed in the same directory as
gnucash.  Please try again with /opt/gnucash2/bin (or wherever) in your
search path.  Both of these cases should work with the path set.  I've
also added a note to the text that this file must appear in your search
path.

I've also updated the script to automatically restart gconf, and updated
the text of the druid.

> For the "I'll do it myself" option the same is true as above.  The user
> has to restart the gconf backend without additional information on how
> to do this.

Added.

Thanks for the review.

David