Switching from CVS to Subversion: test svn repo available

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Oct 26 08:55:16 EDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:58:36PM -0600, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> Just to add to this, there are 2 people who have access to change the
> gnucash website, Linas and myself. My access is somewhat limited (only
> to the parts that Linas has specifically added me to) but I can change
> what I need to. I tend not to make any major changes without consulting
> Linas as it is his machine and site after all. There has been discussion
> of changes to the website before and Linas was always amenable to
> letting people change things _if_ they are not just gonna do something
> half-assed and then just disappear. As I too have seen this happen
> before I agree with it. Personally I'd rather the site was stale because
> it was left in one person's hands than hacked and bastardized by too
> many people having access and no control.
> As to Drupal, I've had some experience with it, I was attempting to use
> it to setup a CMS/Website for my previous job to replace postnuke.
> Fairly easy to get setup and running, the problem comes in trying to
> graft a consistent theme to a site. I was never able to easily develop a
> theme without some hacking that was beyond my basic html abilities.
> There are a lot of plugins and addons to Drupal and I did like what it
> provided. It would take a fair bit of work to figure out if it would be
> suitable for replacing the current site, and even then I'd want to see
> that whoever is doing that work is committed enough to see it to
> completion and leave enough knowledge behind them that others could
> replicate what they did without to much effort (like documentation).

Maybe one method for ensuring a complete and high-quality job would be
to require that the site be designed and available for review
somewhere else, without changing www.gnucash.org.  Then, if things
look good, the switch-over can be made.

I'm completely stupid at site-design, but I'm willing to help with
server/versioning/admin/setup, if it's needed.

-chris