Gnucash web site, Was: Switching from CVS to Subversion: test svn repo available

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Wed Oct 26 23:37:26 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:35 +0100, Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Chris Lyttle wrote:
> > too many people having access and no control.
> That's part of the point of a CMS like Drupal. You still only need one person to
> install and maintain the actual CMS, but you can set up members of the site with
> varying levels of access. Admin, Senior editor, content editor etc, limit people
> to editing things they've written or allow them access to certain types of
> content, it gets quite granular.

Yes, I'm aware of this and agree its a plus in Drupal's favor. My
comment was more to do with background to the reasons why its only 2
people who have access atm.

> > the problem comes in trying to
> > graft a consistent theme to a site. I was never able to easily develop a
> > theme without some hacking that was beyond my basic html abilities.
> How long ago was this? The phptemplate theme system was added to Drupal core for
> the current version (4.6), it got a lot easier with that.
>
> I have 3 customer sites on Drupal (all with different themes), plus a theme
> (with one included theme variant) and a module on Drupal.org. So no worries there :)

I was working with 4.5.1. If you're willing to create a similar theme
that'd be cool :)

> > I'd want to see
> > that whoever is doing that work is committed enough to see it to
> > completion
> Well, I'd suggest that one way forward would be to leave the current site well
> alone and just build a new one for G2. Incorporate and update old content etc.
> With Drupal it's perfectly possible to make the site members only, and restrict
> membership until the site is ready to launch. Then switch at a later point.
>
> Looking a little deeper at gnucash.org:
> The left hand menu's already look like Drupal blocks.
> Most pages could simply be recreated as Drupal 'page' nodes.
> The news would be Drupal 'story' type nodes.
> Mailing lists, bug reports etc could simply link out like they do now.
>
> Documentation is where things get tricky. I think the site would benefit from
> the docs being integrated into the site (could be a Drupal collaborative book)
> but it seems they're currently split between wiki, online versions of Gnucash's
> integrated help, and presumably other places out on the net.
>

> But this is all academic unless Linas is willing to let Drupal run on his server
> or the project is willing to start paying for hosting elsewhere...
>
> I'd be happy to set up a demo in my own web space if people want to take a
> closer look. Also if people want to stick with the current site and just
> delegate updating something to me, I'm fine with that. :) But I do need some
> direction :)

This is the crux, Linas is pretty busy so it may be pretty much a no go
unless he's willing to redirect www.gnucash.org at some stage after the
new site was working.

Chris

--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
        | |^| | |  Life out here is raw
        | | |^| |  But we will never stop
        | |_|_| |  We will never quit
        | / __> |  cause we are Metallica