Doxygen performance issues

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 17:32:48 EDT 2005

How many of us build the Doxygen HTML regularly?

I lurk on the doxygen mailing list and the speed of doxygen has come up. There
are a few issues we can look at ourselves.

1. Our doxygen.cfg.in is out of date compared to Doxygen itself. Running:
$ doxygen -u doxygen.cfg.in
updates the config file to your currently installed Doxygen version.

2. In the new config file, there are options available that may speed up our
doxygen generation immensely. Currently, it is SO bad that my (admittedly
underpowered) FC3 box runs out of memory when processing G2 Doxygen and
restarts X! Some of the newer options address these speed / memory issues.

The biggest problem is that our config forces doxygen to accumulate all the
diffs in memory until dumping the HTML in a single directory. It is in this
stage that my FC3 box falls over and I've noticed performance issues on other
boxes where large file writes are impaired compared to a desktop box.

I'd hope that doxygen would not update the config in such a way as to make it
incompatible with earlier versions but I'm cautious about testing any changes
on FC3. Would someone with FC3 be willing to do a before and after
time-comparison if I send them a doxygen.cfg.in patch? (And let me know if
any config options produce errors like "Unknown option in config")?

--

Neil Williams