GnuCash design / new features

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 30 10:50:05 EST 2005

On Sunday 30 October 2005 3:18 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:
> > True, however I was thinking of my other documentation on that
> > server. The URL
> > itself goes to the DocBook documentation I wrote for qof_book_merge and
> > QSF rather than the G2 Doxygen output.
>
> Just a side question...  is there any particular reason the qof_book_merge
> docs aren't in doxygen?  I can somewhat understand why QSF docs aren't.

The qof_book_merge API is in Doxygen - lots and lots of it. The stuff on my
own server is more the design behind the API along with links to a whole
range of other documentation. I suppose it's grown beyond the
"qof_book_merge" name really but I have now subtitled it:
"Query Object Framework: Design and direction." to give a hint that it's more
than just the merge.
http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/

The index (including some pages that just link to other sites or documentation
generated from other projects) covers:
Preface
1. QOF dependencies.
2. GnuCash dependencies.
2.1. GnuCash for Gnome2: gnucash-gnome2-dev
2.2. Building GnuCash
1. Introduction
1.1. Terms and definitions.
1.1.1. QOF: Query Object Framework .
1.1.2. Pilot-QOF: Querying Palm databases as objects.
1.1.3. QOF-gen: QOF Object Generator.
1.1.4. Data Freedom: Liberate your data from the application.
1.1.5. What's a QofBook?
1.1.6. QSF - QOF Serialization Format.
1.2. Other versions of this documentation.
2. Background
3. Source Documentation
3.1. Doxygen Documentation.
3.1.1. qof_book_merge Doxygen documentation.
3.1.2. QSF Doxygen documentation.
3.1.3. QOF Doxygen documentation.
3.1.4. GnuCash Doxygen documentation.
3.1.5. GnuCash Gnome2 port Doxygen documentation.
3.2. Other general documentation
3.2.1. Gnucash Design documentation
3.2.2. GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide
3.2.3. GnuCash Help Manual
3.2.4. KVP Values used By GnuCash
3.3. qof_book_merge Source Code
3.4. QSF Source code
3.4.1. QSF and qof_book_merge tarballs
4. Creating GnuCash Invoices using a Palm PDA
4.1. Beginnings
4.2. Getting into GnuCash / QOF
4.2.1. Why the GnuCash File QofBackend needs changing
4.2.2. Tips on debugging within GnuCash
4.3. Building QOF onto pilot-link
4.3.1. Converting existing objects to QOF
4.4. Pilot-QOF
4.4.1. What does QOF have to do with pilot-link, or vice versa?
4.4.2. pilot-qof manpages
4.4.3. Generating new objects
5. QSF - QOF Serialization Format.
5.1. What is QSF?
5.1.1. Features of QSF
5.1.2. Requirements of QSF
5.1.3. Validation of QSF.
5.1.4. QSF examples
5.2. Mapping QSF objects between QOF applications
5.2.1. The QSF Map file
5.2.2. Relating the map to the QSF objects
5.3. Writing new QSF maps
6. Merging QofBook's
6.1. Preparing the rule set
6.2. Draft of a rule set framework.
6.3. Design of the merge
6.3.1. Example programs for qof_book_merge
6.4. Using qof_book_merge with new and existing QOF objects
6.5. Known problems
6.6. Design improvements
7. Data Mining and freedom of access.
7.1. Data mining within QOF
7.2. Data Freedom within QOF

I think I've got the split about right - maybe there is still too much in the
Doxygen output but there are topics covered at my own site that simply don't
fit into gnucash or QOF doxygen.

--

Neil Williams