Mailing List Options [was Re: Switching...]

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Mon Oct 31 22:57:53 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 18:56 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> There should be only 2 lists: -users and -devel.
>
> Reasoning:
>   X  -patches should go to -devel.
>      * All submitted patches should be up for discussion.
>      * It's hard to know before hand what patches actually will generate
>         discussion.
>      * It's hard to move the thread after-the-fact.
>      * Anyone willing to subscribe to -devel *should* be willing to see
>         the trafic that -patches would get.
>   X  -changes should go to -devel.
>      * Any commited change might generate discussion.
>      * Again, hard to know before; hard to move after.
>      * Again, anyone on -devel should be willing to see commits.
>   X  -commits should go to /dev/null.
>      * There are better ways to syndicate the commit log than a mailing
>         list.
>      * But, if there *has* to be a place for emails of the commit log,
>         it shouldn't be the same list where the full diffs go.

Not being a developer per se, but nevertheless involved with the
process, if the above happened I would more than likely unsubscribe from
the -devel list and no doubt be inclined to not have any more
involvement with GnuCash. There's no reason imho that patches and
changes should clutter up the discussion on that list.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
        | |^| | |  Life out here is raw
        | | |^| |  But we will never stop
        | |_|_| |  We will never quit
        | / __> |  cause we are Metallica