option definition

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Sat Sep 3 16:05:00 EDT 2005

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> Taking this as an example, what *would* be the recommended name for the pc?
>
> Should it include the SONAME at all?
> Should it always use the lib prefix?
> Is there any convention on these filenames, independent of any distro?

I think the right course is NOT to use the soname unless you think
it's likely that people will want multiple versions of the -dev
package around at once.  In this case, the answer to that is "no".

> So, opinion please. Should I use qof1.pc, qof-1.pc, libqof1.pc ? I really
> don't mind which - the previous release had qof-0.pc

About 1/3 of Debian packages seem to use a "lib" prefix in the pc
file.  Some of those which don't are not lib packages at all.  My
preference is to use the same name as the Debian package name, which
makes it easy to avoid naming conflicts.

Still, distributions should stick to the same names as other
distributions for this, or else it isn't handy.  So it's probably
convenient to have upstream clearly name the file.

Maybe check FHS?

Thomas