pre-2.0 charset disambig. string review ui mockup

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Apr 2 09:54:17 EDT 2006

Quoting Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>:

> Am Samstag, 1. April 2006 16:51 schrieb Josh Sled:
>>   http://asynchronous.org/tmp/encoding-ui.html
>>
>> I'm concerned about the tedium of clicking through a lot of "Forward"s
>> to deal with strings one at a time, so I'm assuming a batch/list
>> interaction.  If -- as we hope -- the vast majority of the strings need
>> only a quick visual confirmation of correctness, then we should present
>> them all at once to be, well, quickly confirmed.
>
> Absolutely. I don't understand the reason for having one combobox per string.

The reason is that it's /possible/ that a data file has a combination
of multiple encodings.  For example, if someone was running gnucash 1.8
is a non-UTF8 locale for a while, entered a bunch of accented characters,
and then later started running gnucash 1.8 in a UTF8 locale and entered
a bunch more accented characters...    It's possible the data file has
multiple encodings.

I've seen at least one example of this from a user, so it is NOT a
theoretical problem.  It actually does happen.

> My suggestion/favorite would be your version #1, but only with the right
> column. I expect the user would have only *one* place to choose the encoding,
> and this encoding will change all imported strings. So if, at a quick glance,
> the strings appear incorrect, the user would choose something differently in
> the *single* combobox, until the strings look correct.
>
> In the current setups, it is not clear to me whether the expected action of
> the user on seeing "wrong" strings is to click on the topmost combobox or
> rather at the combobox in the respective line.

This is why we provide an instruction page.