gnucash-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 3

David Herman dvherman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 13:08:30 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 12:00 -0400, gnucash-devel-request at gnucash.org
wrote:
> From: Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org>
> Subject: Re: GnuCash Concept Guide
> To: Bengt Thuree <bengt at thuree.com>
> Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
>
> On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 17:24 +0900, Bengt Thuree wrote:
> > Just wondering what the plan/progress is for updating the various
> > documents for 2.0 (Concept guide for instance).
> >
> > Any special area that needs help?
> > Any wiki place which tracks the progress of this?
>
> I think a wiki page would be a good place to keep track of what has
> been, and what needs to be, done.
>
> The text itself should be mostly current, though a critical re-reading
> would be good to make sure that it's still aligned with the way things
> are implemented and displayed.  I think a semi-important thing to do
> is
> update (and perhaps add to) the screenshots, as well as creating the
> master data-file used to source the screenshots --- it can be annoying
> when details keep changing because all the screenshots are taken from
> ad-hoc data files.

Sorry folks - I'm working on Chapter 8 (Investments), though I've been
delayed - wife broke an ankle last week.  Now I'm cook, nurse,
(cleaning?) and chauffeur.  Just finished TAXES.  Does not leave much
time for other activities.

But onward - Yes I believe that all the screenshots will need to be
updated.  Some of the text needs expansion.

I don't think that there will be one data file for examples; I don't
know how many I've created but I guess each Chapter might be written as
to have one data file.

Another issue I encountered is controlling "page breaks" if attempting
to print the document.

SVN diff doesn't function on the document trunk, the image files, of
course, have problems but the XML files also fail - something about
incorrect file type (see other posting on this topic).

I have created a diff from the unmodified Chapter 8 and current working
copy, if anyone is interested (will require new copies of the screenshot
files).

Multiple currencies were also raised as a weakness in the document, I
located in the center of the US and don't have any experience in that
area.  Can anyone create a chapter/section to cover multiple currencies?