Modify Chapter 8

Bengt Thuree bengt at thuree.com
Wed Apr 12 23:32:48 EDT 2006

On To, 2006-04-13, 11:30, David Hampton skrev:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 07:35 +0800, Bengt Thuree wrote:
>
>> But I still have seen at least 3 questions on how to get online quotes
>> from cron tab,
>
> Adding the following line to your crontab will retrieve quotes on the
> first of each month at midnight local time:
>
>   0 0 1 * * gnucash --add-price-quotes $HOME/test_account
>
> Standard cron caveats apply.  I.E. the program must be found in the
> standard search path (which for cron is /usr/bin:/bin), and the path
> name must be a full path if cron doesn't automatically change to your
> home directory.  See the crontab(5) man page for more details.

Perhaps
Adding the following line to your crontab will retrieve quotes every night
at 02:15 local time:

   15 2 * * * gnucash --add-price-quotes <Path to data file>/<data file>

where
  <Path to data file> could be $HOME/budget
  <data file> could be MyBudget  (check window title in GnuCash)
(See Chapter 2.6 and 2.8 for more information regarding GnuCash datafile.)

----
Or is this to much?

Why every day, well, due to timezones etc, market closes on Friday
sometime way into Saturday local time, as well as Monday closing time in
Japan happends on Sunday late evening in US I guess.

/Bengt