Preference dialog parameter questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 14 10:41:11 EDT 2006

"Bengt Thuree" <bengt at thuree.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Would appreciate if someone could help to clarify what the following
> options are:
>
> Preferences : Business
> Open in a new window

Whether to open an "invoice" in a new window or in a tab in the main
window.  This is the same question as whether to open a register in
a new window or a tab.

> Accumulate splits on post

When you post an invoice, should there be a 1:1 mapping of line-items
in the invoice to Splits in the transaction?  Or should multiple
line-items to the same Account be merged into a single Split?

> 	Number of rows

How many rows to display in the Invoice 'register'.

> Preferences : General
> New Search Limit

I /believe/ that this is a limit of how many items to return in a
Search.

> Preferences : Online banking
> Use bayesian matching

For OFX/HBCI: whether to use bayesian-style matching to map
transaction description text to previous imports to determine account
names.

> Match display threshold
> Auto-add threshold
> Auto-clear threshold

I'm not 100% sure what each of these thresholds mean.  Have you
looked at the tool tips for each one?

> Commercial Cash Machine fees threshold

This is the delta-amount for ATM fees to auto-match the amount of the
transaction.  E.g., if you entered a transaction for $100 and you see
a transaction for $102, should these be considered possible matches?
Well, that depends -- maybe there was a $2 ATM fee.

> Preferences : Register
> Draw horizontal lines between cells?   --->>> Should this not be rows
> instead???? (But have not tested it since I am at work in windows world)

Yes, this should be rows.

> PReferences : Register Defaults
> Number of transactions

Not sure exactly what this means.

> Number of rows

How many rows to display.

> Also, No "Reset to default" button????
> How do you revert back to default values in the preference dialog?

I don't know.   David?