splash screen

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Apr 18 15:59:33 EDT 2006

Am Samstag, 15. April 2006 03:11 schrieb Patrick Schweiger:
> I realize what you're actively asking for is a logo, and I'm aware
> you've got your hands full trying to crank out 1.9.4 and 2.0. I would
> like to offer a "new" splash screen nonetheless. The pie chart window
> makes it "obvious" it depicts the 1.8.x generation (tabs to the left of
> the plot).

I like these very much! I also think a major new version should have a major
new splash screen :-) and your ideas are already very good.

As others have already pointed out, if you're in finance, you cannot use one
single currency. Either money without currency (gold coins, credit cards) or
many different currencies. The kmymoney guys went through this last fall.
Just in case: Pictures of Euro bank notes are available on
http://www.bundesbank.de/bargeld/bargeld_banknoten.en.php?print=no&

> On the other hand, the guppi chart had more lively colors,
> which improves the splash screen in my opinion.

Absolutely. I still have the plan to copy Guppi's colors to our integrated
libgoffice copy. However, it's not yet clear whether 2.0.0 will be able to
use these colors as copied from Guppi, or whether 2.0.0 will stick with the
(IMHO not-so-nice) stock libgoffice colors.

> If you've got the time of day and are remotely interested, check out
> www.spiffykitty.com/gnucashsplash for variations on your current flying

I like the top right one most, but I wonder whether you can find a
mixed-currency picture instead...

> If you like what you see but feel 1.8.x windows don't cut it at this
> point in gnucash's life cycle, I can provide versions using up to date
> screen shots.

I *definitely* think 2.0.0 should have a new splash screen. Thanks a lot for
starting with your nice ideas.

Christian