Conversion from QuickBooks via Datablox

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 7 12:56:06 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:56:50PM -0600, Keith Hellman wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I've been a gnucash user for several years, but I've never posted to
> the devlist before (I did post to gnucash-users back in April of 2004,
> see attached).
>
> In 2004, I fiddled around with converting my previous QuickBooks data to
> gnucash.  I used software by DataBlox
> (http://www.datablox.com/qb/qboview.htm) coupled with a TCL script
> (http://www.ids.net/~gregan/arzoosw/download.html) for the primary data
> extraction, then wrote some python scripts to convert the data into qif
> files.
>
> None of this really panned out.  It didn't seem to be an issue with the
> data export, but rather my inability at guile and limitations of the QIF
> format.  As time passed, it seemed much less important to preserve the
> financial data from QuickBooks.  When I returned to graduate school, the
> project was shelved indefinetly.

Extracting information from quickbooks has always been an issue for me
as it is the only reason I maintain a windows partition anymore... But
for me, like you, it becomes less and less relevant as time goes
on. That said, I think, as a small business user, extracting data from
quickbooks is a pretty big deal and certainly would have made my life
easier two years ago. And I still have some interest in having access
to that old data, even if it was just as a "digest" with monthly or
quarterly aggregated numbers.

That said, I am not a developer, just a lurker here, but would be
happy to test implementations, provide feedback and ideas, etc.