Web interface for gnuCash

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Aug 8 09:36:55 EDT 2006

On Tue, August 8, 2006 2:47 pm, Conrad Canterford wrote:

> Or c) take a fork, and develop it in the direction you want it to go.
> Personally, I think that would be bad for all concerned, but if you feel
> strongly enough about it, this is an option for you.

This has been considered, too.

> Surely you must understand that the current developers devote staggering
> amounts of their own personal time to develop and maintain gnucash.

I think everyone here understands this, however this has nothing to do
with the original point.

Whether or not Gnucash developers feel that a particular feature is worthy
of their time is one thing, but to post a message [1] stating that nobody
else sees the value of a previously suggested feature, without any
evidence to back up this statement, shows that at least one key
contributor is likely to block development efforts in that direction. This
in turn raises questions as to whether it is worth spending developer time
on Gnucash.

[1] "If you specifically want something web-based, you might want to
look at SQL-Ledger.  GnuCash is meant to be a desktop app.  There
is ONE developer who thinks there might be use as a web app,
but I think he stands alone in that goal."

> You cannot fault them for rejecting any suggestion that they should
> devote the next several years worth of their precious development time
> to your suggestion instead of working on issues and features which are
> affecting them or which they believe are important.

Several years? All I suggested was that Gnucash would be more useful if it
could export data in an easier fashion, and if this export could be done
from the command line. Given these two relatively simple features, info
could be automatically published to a webserver by cron, no need for any
sledgehammer web application solutions.

This criticism was made in the hope that Gnucash could be made more
useful, from someone who both develops OSS _and_ uses Gnucash for the day
to day running of a business. I was hoping that I would get some guidance
on whether anyone else was interested in collaborating on developing
features like this, but instead I got answers to the effect of "Gnucash
isn't supposed to be used like this, we are not interested".

Regards,
Graham