My Wish List

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Tue Aug 8 12:56:19 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:12:35AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> I would like to operate gnucash under Windows, not because I am a
> Windows fan but for ease of transitioning from Quicken to gnucash (I
> have too many years of data for a quick test).  I am currently trying
> to make gnucash work under the cygwin environment with the current
> version of gnucash, and there is hope yet (but slow going).
>
> However, in the long term I wonder if there is any interest in going
> another route:
>
>   -use a cross-platform solution GUI like Qt, fltk2, or wxWidgets
> (please, not java);
>       or perhaps perl or python GUIs

At this point, it's probably less work to port gtk+ to a new platform
than it would be to reintroduce toolkit-independence into GnuCash.
Seriously.

>   -convert the whole C code base to C++

That's a hard sell.  It's easy to see the disadvantages and hard to
see the advantages.  Please be aware that some potential advantages
are already provided by our use of glib/gobject.

>   -eliminate scheme/guile

Step #1 in that process would be to use SWIG.  You would likely find
much support if you were to attempt this.

>   -use a self-contained Windows package and installer for that version

Well, feel free to demonstrate this, but AFAIK GnuCash still doesn't
work as well on Windows as elsewhere, so that's probably a more
pressing issue.

-chris