[rms at gnu.org: Some problems on gnucash.org]

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Thu Aug 10 17:45:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

I never managed to achieve the status "core developer" but I
contributed some patches and I am a really long time GnuCash
user.

I started using GnuCash in 1999. Yes, it was called Xaccountant
back then and the extension of my GnuCash data file is still
.xac :-). I have been reading gnucash-devel since I have been
using GnuCash. I was never aware that GnuCash is part of the
GNU project but I don't care very much either.

However, my name appears in the copyright statements of
some GnuCash source files and I never transfered my copyright
to the FSF. I don't know if any of the current or former
developers did.

  Herbert.

Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:52:59AM -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:

>>>Maybe you were just joking around, (I do see a smiley), but if you're
>>>seriously asserting that GnuCash was ever "released under the auspices
>>>of the GNU Project"[1], which appears to be definitive of GNU
>>>packages, then I would expect GnuCash's documentation to have declared
>>>itself to be GNU software.  I've been unable to find any evidence that
>>>this was ever true.  Do you have any?  If not, I believe you are
>>>mistaken.
>>At the time that GNUCash appeared to be friendly with the GNU Project
>>there wasn't much documentation about GNUCash in general.  I don't
>>think it or propagating relationships in what existed was a primary
>>focus.  In a nutshell, just because documentation doesn't state
>>anything doesn't prove a ton (in either direction).
>
> I didn't really mean user-level documentation.  For as far back as I
> can research, the GnuCash source code and associated files
> (e.g. README) have always been rather verbose on the topics of
> licensing, authorship and copyrights.  In that context, the absence of
> any "This is GNU software" statement certainly casts doubt in my mind,
> _especially_ since that would perhaps be the only objective mark of
> the fact, given that copyright was not being assigned to FSF.
>
>>>As for RMS's implication that "the GNU Project" wrote GnuCash [3],
>>>GnuCash's authors are quite well noted in GnuCash's source and AUTHORS
>>>file.  I don't know of the official membership of the GNU Project -
>>>perhaps it's a circular definition, but of those contributors, you,
>>>Thomas, are the only one I know of that's apparently associated with
>>>the GNU Project.
>>I think only the developers can say.  Here is where I think some of
>>the roots (or my understanding of them) are confused.  It is my
>>understanding that Linas took an X-accountant program which was no
>>longer maintained and gutted it to not be dependent on Motif.  My
>>interactions with Linas certainly made me believe he was very
>>connected to the Free Software Foundation AND the GNU Project because
>>I was introduced to him via RMS as needing to collaborate for the
>>betterment of the GNU Project.
>>
>>It is also my understanding that the GNU Project very much helped
>>Linux Global Partners put money behind the company Linas ran
>>(GNUMatic) which employed many of the people in the AUTHORS file.
>>During my interaction with GNUMatic it was very much communicated
>>that GNUCash was part of the GNU Project.
>
> Could you clarify that last part, please?  Communicated by whom, to
> whom, in what form and how explicitly?  Any references would be
> especially helpful.
>
>>Once GNUMatic shut its doors most of those developers stepped away
>>(including Linas) and Derek Atkins took primary leadership of the
>>project.  Since that happened there seems to no longer be any
>>connection to the GNU Project.

> [...]

Herbert Thoma
Group Manager Video
Multimedia Realtime Systems Department
Fraunhofer IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-323
Fax:   +49-9131-776-399
email: tma at iis.fhg.de
www: http://www.iis.fhg.de/