[rms at gnu.org: Some problems on gnucash.org]

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Fri Aug 11 15:27:45 EDT 2006

Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:

>> It seems to me that this is a case where it is wise not to declare war
>> and wise not to declare marriage.  War helps nobody, and marriage has
>> its risks too.
>
> I don't think it's constructive to frame the discussion this way.

I don't see why; if you have a different way to frame it, great.

> I also don't think RMS could usurp the project as you suggest, though it
> would be a annoying event.

I think you must have misread my message.  You don't think he could
say "so-and-so is the new official GnuCash maintainer" and produce a
code fork?  What impedes him from doing so?

> I do think it's in everyone's interests to sort out the questions of
> copyright of the source tree if it's different from what the files
> indicate presently.

Yes, that's certainly true.

> - I don't like using the overloaded word "Free", and prefer "Open
> Source".  I defer to the concensus of other gnc-core on this.

My point is that, in the interests of peace, it's ok not to get
everything we or you want.  Which is more important: avoiding a big
giant fight with RMS, or not using a word that you think is too
overloaded?

Thomas