Budget Question

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Sat Dec 2 15:56:30 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 01:12:38PM -0500, Jason York wrote:
> I'm a new gnucash user and I've been playing around with the budget
> feature.  Is there any way to copy values across columns?  For example,
> I've set up a budget with a period of 1 month  with 12 periods.
> I would like to be able to fill in all my budget values for the first
> month.  Then have the option to copy them to the next month. Then I can
> just modify the few that change for that month.  It seems quite tedious
> to manually re-enter those values for every month.  Is there something
> I'm missing?

I'm afraid not.  One thing that would improve this situation would be
if copy + keynav + paste was really fluid.  This could probably be
accomplished with some careful handing of focus and editmode.

Another idea that's been kicking around is this: Say you start with a
one year budget with one period, and fill in all the annual amounts.
Then you change it to monthly budget of 12 months.  Right now, it
would simply leave the annual amounts as the amounts for the first
month - not helpful.  But wouldn't it be cool if it filled in each
month's amount with 1/12 of the annual amount?

Several months ago, I convinced myself that there was a well-defined,
and often-useful mapping FROM:

  old_period_length, old_num_periods, (old_values for each old
period), new_period_length, new_num_periods

        TO:
  new_values for each new period.

> If not, I would be willing to submit a patch if someone could at least
> point me in the right direction of what you think would need to be done
> to implement.  I'm capable of coding it up, but I am not familiar with
> the gnucash source.

There's no substitue for reading the source.  Start with
src/engine/budget.[ch].

-chris